Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Guest post: La Vie En Clothes

Hey everyone! I'm Gabi from La Vie En Clothes, and I am super thrilled to be guest posting for Jess while she is away at Cornerstone! Can't tell you how much I admire this girl. I've been following her blog for a while now watching her prepare for the exuberant joys of her wedding and marriagehood, of which I am extremely jealous incredibly happy for her ;) Congratulations to the lovely couple!

I am always so inspired by Jess's craftiness and Do-It-Yourself personality. She has given me so many ideas as to how I want my own wedding to look (only 45 more days!) This summer I've been turned on to crafting more than I ever have before, and I want to take this opportunity to share...


Why crafting is not just for grandmas anymore!
(And lonely people who don't go out much)

We still love you, Steve Carell <3


So, maybe you're planning a special event or a party on a tight budget. Or maybe your room decor could use some spicing up. Or maybe the summer is dragging on and you're beyond bored. Crafting may be perfect for you! Here are a few reasons why:


1. Crafting is inexpensive. (And we're broke as a joke!) Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule, but I've found that more often than not, the materials needed for DIY projects are pretty cheap. Aside from the essentials like glue, tape, rulers, etc., you can find a lot of supplies at secondhand shops! Colorful patterned fabrics, glass jars/vases, old photographs and frames, and even furniture that could use some creative alteration all can be found for less than $10 at your local thrift store.


2. Crafting is personal. Okay, so buying an already-made gift at the store or paying someone to decorate for you does have its conveniences. But what I really love about making something yourself is how special it is. It really shows you took the time and energy out of your day to make that perfect gift that only you and your friend know the inside joke behind it. My good friend Zak spent days building this beautiful bike for his girlfriend, Allison, who also happens to be a genius crafter!


3. Crafting lets you create something unique and innovative out of something old or bland. Case and point. Look at this freakin' repurposed TV that is now a mini bookshelf!


4. Crafting is relaxing. After a long day of work or school, I know my first impulse is to veg out in front of a computer or TV screen. Why not accomplish something with our hands instead? Right now I'm working on these fabric flowers for the wedding that are so easy and adorable, but they're extremely time consuming. So whenever I feel like unwinding, I whip 'em out and craft mindlessly away with some music or a podcast on in the background. An even more fun option is to throw a DIY party! Invite some friends over, buy a ton of junkfood, and craft on like it's 1995.

So now that I've sold you over to the wonderful world of DIY, here are some helpful websites to get you started: Grosgrain, Urban Outfitters DIY, How About Orange, and Craftzine :)

Thanks for reading my guest post, guys. Hope you enjoyed it! Feel free to stop by my blog, La Vie En Clothes, to say hi!

No comments: